Warm Soup for Cold Nights!
Creamy Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup
This recipe is rustic and flexible when it comes to measurements .. add more or less of what you want or what you have on hand. Check out our suggestions below to even give it a pizza-like flavor!
2-3+ pounds of tomatoes (any kind you like, try a mix of vine-ripe, plum, cherry, grape etc)
2+ yellow onions
1 red onion (optional)
1/2-1+ bulb of garlic (alternative roasting recipe below)
oil (olive or avocado)
1-2 quarts of cups of vegetable broth or stock (we used 1 quart of veggie broth and 2 cups of mushroom stock)
2-4 bay leaves
4-6 tablespoons of vegan butter (feel free to omit)
Fresh basil if you like (optional)
Dried herbs like: basil, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper (optional)
Miso paste (optional)
Miso paste (optional)
Salt & pepper
1+ cups of Totally Nuts Almond Milk, original flavor
- Pre-heat oven to 450
- Wash tomatoes and cut in half. Quarter onions. Peel garlic (see below for roasted garlic alternative).
- Arrange tomatoes, onion and garlic on baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle tomatoes with dried basil if you like.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes until caramelized. It's hard to do this too long, keep on roasting for more depth of flavor and just check every 5 or 10 minutes as you go.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a large stock pot, including all the juices and caramelized bits on the parchment.
- Add vegetable broth / stock, bay leaves, butter and dried herbs (include basil, oregano, parsley and crushed red pepper to give it a pizza flavor). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until liquid has reduced some.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Add fresh basil if using. Blend using an immersion blender or place in a blender buck once cool enough and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to low heat, add Totally Nuts Almond milk and 2-3 tablespoons miso if desired - this will add some cheesiness flavor and also add to pizza flavor if youre going for that. Add more milk for more creaminess.
- Allow it to reduce further to your desired thickness. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with things like : Additional roasted cherry tomatoes, cashew cream, toasted bread, toasted pumpkin seeds, vegan mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, a glass of Totally Nuts Almond Milk :)
Any roasting method will work, this one is a little quicker than cutting the top off the bulb and roasting it as one unit.
- Separate garlic cloves leaving a layer or two of skin on.
- Toss in a bowl with olive or avocado oil, place on foil and roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the cloves start hissing and you see a little bit of caramelization where garlic is starting to ooze out of the cloves.
- Cool for a few minutes before peeling.