Vegan Chai Ice Cream with Totally Nuts Holiday Almond Milk
Caffeinated desserts are the ideal holiday treat to help bring you back to life after a decadent dinner. The spices in Totally Nut's Holiday Almond Milk are a perfect match for chai tea spices. In this recipe we suggest heating and reducing the mylk by 1/2 so that your ice cream is extra creamy with even more zing. You can also use our Original and Vanilla flavors in this recipe. Review the ingredients and instructions ahead of time so that you can have the final product ready when you want it.
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked at least 6 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of Totally Nuts Holiday Almond Milk (16 oz )
- 3 packets of chai tea (or black tea for less chai flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup maple, agave or another sweetener
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper, ground cloves, ground cardamom (optional)
- Freeze your ice cream churning bowl 12-24 hours beforehand.
- Put the 2 cups of Totally Nuts Holiday Almond Milk into a saucepan and simmer over low heat until reduced down to 1 cup, stirring regularly so that it doesn't burn. (You can instead just use 1 cup of the non-reduced milk in the recipe, but the ice cream will be more creamy and have more spice if you reduce two cups down to one cup). Allow it to cool.
- In the meantime, put the chai tea packets in 3/4 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes minimum so that it gets very strong. Squeeze the excess tea when you remove the bags and allow it to cool.
- While your milk and tea are cooling, drain and rinse cashews and measure out the other ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Make sure it doesn't get too hot - avoid steam.
- At this point you can either chill the mixture in the fridge first or directly proceed to churning it in your ice cream maker. If the weather is warm and/or the blended mixture is very hot, or if you want to eat your ice cream once its done churning, you should refrigerate the mixture overnight first.
- Churn for 30+ minutes or until its not getting any thicker. If the texture is good for you, eat right then or freeze overnight.