Cream of Beet Soup
1 pound beets, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 medium)
1 large Onion, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Fresh marjoram sprig OR 1 teaspoon dried or chopped fresh thyme
3 Tbsp butter
1 quart of vegetable broth or stock
1-2 cups Totally Nuts Almond Milk – Original flavor
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Fresh dill or marjoram
Additional Toppings such as croutons, cashew cream, vegan sour cream
- Melt butter in a large stock pot. Add onions and sauté for a few minutes, then add beets, garlic and marjoram or thyme and sauté a few more minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add broth, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the beets are soft and you can easily squish them with a fork.
- Allow soup to cool some, then puree in a standup blender or with an immersion blender. If you like a chunkier texture then blend for less time, and if you like it extra smooth then put the soup through a mesh strainer after blender.
- Return soup to the pot, stir in the Totally Nuts Almond Milk, vinegar, salt and pepper (to taste) and bring it back to a simmer. For more creaminess add more almond milk and allow the soup to reduce over the heat. Feel free to add more vinegar or seasoning based on how it tastes to you.
- Garnish with fresh dill or marjoram, and any additional toppings that you want such as croutons, vegan sour cream, cashew cream etc.